Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

I fall in love with Slackware

That is true ... I fall in love with Slackware. First time I used Linux in the end of 2003, I installed Mandrake 9.1 (now Mandriva) on my PC, but, in the third month after installed, I was boring with that distro. I wanted something that gave me a big challenge. Then, I chose Slackware 9.1 in the beginning of 2004. First time using Slackware ... very stressful ... but ... I didn't give up ... then ... I was surprised, I became know about many processes related to how to operating system works ... and the most important thing ... I got "my own desktop" so that I can said "what do you see on screen is me" :) Thank's to Patrick Volkerding and the Slackware team for the BEST Linux distribution (your mileage may vary).

In October 2006, I bought my first laptop (thank's to Ubaya and Mr. Yohanes G. Yusuf that help me financially to buy that laptop), a local trademark laptop: Relion TW12KM (AMD Turion64 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD, DVD-RW, 12.1" XGA TFT). When I was going to install Linux, I rather disappointed cause Slackware didn't have a x86_64 version (Until now, AFAIK, Pat don't have plan to release x86_64 version) ... oh .. no ... Did I had to "divorce" with Slackware? In the next few days, I got a good news from internet after searching using Google (thank's to Google for a wonderful search engine), there was a unofficial port of Slackware for x86_64 machine, that is, Slamd64 (www.slamd64.org). Thank's to Fred Emmott for this project, so that, until now, I can "live" with Slackware.

Here is the screenshot of Slamd64-current that running in my laptop:



I have changed the default icons using nuvoX 0.4. Also, I use Plastik as KDE Manager. The color of the desktop is contrast with the white case of my laptop.

No comments: